What happens when the other party is at fault.

If a police report states that the other party is at fault, or if the other party accepts responsibility for the accident, you should report this accident to your insurance provider and request to open a claim. Most of Canada has DCPD (Direct-Compensation-for-Property-Damage) laws. By law your insurance provider is responsible to cover damage caused by a third party. It is up to them to collect from the other party's insurance for such a loss. This type of a claim will pay for your damages plus for the loss of use of your vehicle with no deductible. Typically they will require you to pay for your own insurance on a rental vehicle.